I have expensive tastes. I blame it on going to design school and not being able to withstand something that is poorly designed. I get physically ill. It is stupid and makes me feel like an ass, but it is true. When something is out of balance, it kills me. Funny story, during my husband and my honeymoon on the east coast we drove through Richmond, Virginia. I had to close my eyes the whole way through the town because of how poorly designed some of it was. No offense to those of Richmond, Virginia. This is my weird quirk.
The counter to having expensive taste is you need money, lots of money. We do not have lots of money. Like at all. This poses a great and exciting challenge for me to take something that is goodwill/thrift store bough and transform it into something esthetically pleasing. I surf Pinterest and say constantly, “I can do that shit.” I even have a folder for it called “Current Projects.” In retrospect I should probably label it as “ICDTS” or something instead. The other life problem we have is a very small house, and a very young daughter who biffs it quite often. I needed to make a coffee table of some sort. Cheaply, that was safe for my little viking and that looked somewhat aesthetically pleasing. Because I have to look at it all day, and if it bothers me it will get relegated to the furniture graveyard that is my garage.
Thus enter the hunt for a small ottoman! I was lucky in that I found a ottoman at the goodwill, perfect size and in reasonably good condition for twenty bucks. The fabric was dirty ugly. Dated and icky. Seriously foul, but it had some good prospects. Wood feet in decent shape and it was structurally sound. Purchasing new fabric is also a problem because fabric is freaking expensive if you buy it in multiple yards. Especially fabric for chairs, and sofas. I used a single panel curtain instead that was made of some rugged material. YAAAASSS. Here is the results:
The process was pretty simple and straight forward.
- Purchased ottoman and curtain
- Borrowed heavy duty stapler and staples.
- Position curtain over ottoman making sure to get good coverage on all sides.
- Flipped ottoman over and began stapling curtain to the underside of the ottoman. I attached it to the wood base.
- I folded the edges inwards like I was wrapping a birthday present.
- Snipped the excess material.
- Tightened the legs with a phillips screwdriver and painted them white with some leftover white paint I had from another project.
I feel like a rockstar. Total cost is 27.00 dollars. I am just going to go sit on the couch and bask in my crafty awesomeness.