Lady “Poppy” Pyppenia is guarded by the Sleepless Knight Cyrenic, but becomes endangered when an assassin threatens her life in the new king’s reign. As Poppy and Cyrenic try to discover who wants her dead, they must navigate the dangerous waters of life at court, and of their growing feelings for one another.
Collects issues 1-6.
- 3 out of 5 Stars
- What: Graphic Novel Paperback
- How Long: 168 pages
- When Published: Published July 10th 2018 by Image Comics
- ISBN: ISBN1534306846 (ISBN13: 9781534306844)
- Edition Type: Edition Language English
- Series: Series Sleepless #1-6
- Further Reading: Sleepless Vol. 2 by Sarah Vaughn and Leila del Luca
- Try: Maestros, Vol 1 by Steve Skroce, Eternal Empire, Vol. 1 by Sarah Vaughn and Johnathon Luna
This was a fun albeit slightly flat graphic novel read. Sarah Vaughn has written a story about the kingdom of Harbeny, and Lady “Poppy” Pyppenia and her sleepless knight. Sleepless knight as a play on words. He is a knight who protects Poppy and does not sleep, ergo, sleepless knight. This is a “who done it” style story. Assasins threaten Poppy’s life and it is her knights responsibilty to keep her safe. Much intrigue happens over the course of the story and ends rather abruptly.
There are quite a few positives about this book:
- Lovely art work. I enjoy Del Luca’s style. The artwork is stylized without becoming unreadable.
- Sweet and believable budding romance between the main characters.
- Well done high fantasy
- A diverse cast of characters
I did have some difficulties with the pacing. though. It feels too choppy and in that choppiness I lost the plot a few times and wasn’t able to connect with the characters like I would like to. I found myself asking, “Why should I care about this?” Because of that I will probably not continue the series.
About the Author
Sarah Vaughn is an artist, writer, over-thinker. She’s penciled Sparkshooter and is currently working with Jonathan Luna on Alex + Ada for Image Comics.