stories in photos
JOHN PICACIO is one of the most acclaimed American artists in science fiction and fantasy over the last decade, creating best-selling art for George R. R. Martin’s A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series, the STAR TREK and X-MEN franchises. as well as over 150 book covers. Major clients include Penguin Random House, Tor Books, Macmillan, HarperCollins, Scholastic, Simon & Schuster, Saga Press, Pyr, Baen Books, Tachyon, and many more. His body of work features major book illustrations for authors such as Leigh Bardugo, Rebecca Roanhorse, Michael Moorcock, Harlan Ellison, James Dashner, Brenda Cooper, Frederik Pohl, Mark Chadbourn, Sheri S. Tepper, James Tiptree, Jr., Lauren Beukes, Jeffrey Ford, Joe R. Lansdale, and many, many more.
His accolades include three Hugo Awards, eight Chesley Awards, three Locus Awards, two International Horror Guild Awards, the World Fantasy Award, and the Inkpot Award. He is the founder of the creative publishing imprint, Lone Boy, which has become the launchpad for his Loteria Grande cards, a bold contemporary re-imagineering of the classic Mexican game of chance. In 2018, he became only the third person in the history of the World Science Fiction Convention to serve as Guest of Honor and Hugo Awards Master of Ceremonies at the same Worldcon, and the first Latinx to ever be a Worldcon Guest of Honor. He is the founder of The Mexicanx Initiative. He lives and works in San Antonio, TX.
John Picacio’s Awards
John Picacio has won three Hugo Awards, the World Fantasy Award, eight Chesley Awards, three Locus Awards, two International Horror Guild Awards and the Inkpot Award.
- 2020 SFWA / Kate Wilhelm Solstice Award
- 2016 Chesley Award for Best Product Illustration (for ‘El Arbol‘)
- 2015 Locus Award (Artist)
- 2014 Inkpot Award
- 2013 Hugo Award (Best Professional Artist)
- 2013 Chesley Award for Best Product Illustration (for ‘La Sirena’)
Penguin Random House, Del Rey, Tor Books, Tor.com, Macmillan, HarperCollins, Scholastic, Simon & Schuster, Saga Press, Pyr, Baen Books, Tachyon
Selected Interviews, Articles and Media Appearances
- Anime Herald Interview with John Picacio (October 29, 2019)
- Interview with John Picacio by One Fantastic Week / 1FW 240 (November 13, 2018)
- Interview with John Picacio by Mia Araujo / Artists of Color (October 19, 2018)
- Interview with John Picacio by Chris Urie / Clarkesworld Magazine (June 2018)
- Interview with John Picacio by Evan Narcisse / io9 (October 31, 2017)
For more information please visit John Picacio’s website. All images are the property of John Picacio.
© 2021 All Rights Reserved.