YAAAASSS I Made an Inexpensive Ottoman

I have expensive tastes. I blame it on going to design school and not being able to withstand something that is poorly designed. I get physically ill. It is stupid and makes me feel like an ass, but it is true. When something is out of balance, it kills me. Funny story, during my husband and my honeymoon on the east coast we drove through Richmond, Virginia. I had to close my eyes the whole way through the town because of how poorly designed some of it was. No offense to those of Richmond, Virginia. This is my weird quirk.

The counter to having expensive taste is you need money, lots of money. We do not have lots of money. Like at all. This poses a great and exciting challenge for me to take something that is goodwill/thrift store bough and transform it into something esthetically pleasing.  I surf Pinterest and say constantly, “I can do that shit.”  I even have a folder for it called “Current Projects.” In retrospect I should probably label it as “ICDTS” or something instead. The other life problem we have is a very small house, and a very young daughter who biffs it quite often. I needed to make a coffee table of some sort. Cheaply, that was safe for my little viking and that looked somewhat aesthetically pleasing. Because I have to look at it all day, and if it bothers me it will get relegated to the furniture graveyard that is my garage.

Thus enter the hunt for a small ottoman! I was lucky in that I found a ottoman at the goodwill, perfect size and in reasonably good condition for twenty bucks. The fabric was dirty ugly. Dated and icky. Seriously foul, but it had some good prospects. Wood feet in decent shape and it was structurally sound. Purchasing new fabric is also a problem because fabric is freaking expensive if you buy it in multiple yards. Especially fabric for chairs, and sofas. I used a single panel curtain instead that was made of some rugged material. YAAAASSS. Here is the results:

IMG_1863.JPG
Fugly right! At least it didn’t smell. All I am saying.
IMG_1862.JPG
Here is me trying to figure out the best placement of the 7 dollar curtain panel I bought at goodwill.
IMG_0024
Here is the finished project.
I will probably add another coat to the legs.
Don’t you just love the fence, it is the colors of sadness.
The underside…full of staples, blood, and love.

The process was pretty simple and straight forward.

1. Purchased ottoman and curtain
  2. Borrowed heavy duty stapler and staples.
  3. Position curtain over ottoman making sure to get good coverage on all sides.
  4. Flipped ottoman over and began stapling curtain to the underside of the ottoman. I attached it to the wood base.
  5. I folded the edges inwards like I was wrapping a birthday present.
  6. Snipped the excess material.
  7. Tightened the legs with a phillips screwdriver and painted them white with some leftover white paint I had from another project.

I feel like a rockstar. Total cost is 27.00 dollars. I am just going to go sit on the couch and bask in my crafty awesomeness.

12 Comments Add yours

1. Kelsie O says:

It looks wonderful! Great job. I also really love creating new things from thrift store finds. You then have something that is one of a kind, and the landfill has pone less object inside. Great post!

Liked by 1 person

1. Beth Tabler says:

Yes I agree completely! Let’s keep stuff out of landfills. Besides, when you make something your own it has much more character.

2. Wow! That’s a great looking ottoman (after, not so much before). But wow, wow, wow $27! Now that’s just amazing!! Awesome job!

Liked by 1 person

1. Beth Tabler says:

Thanks! I’ll update it with a much better photo when the light is better.

Liked by 1 person

1. The ottoman looks even better in the better lighting. Especially love how you painted the legs white.

2. Beth Tabler says:

Thank you! I think it needs some pizazz, maybe some oiled bronze brads around the base. That should be pretty inexpensive.

Liked by 1 person

3. Ooooh that would add interest!

3. Mark Tabler says:

I helped! Here are some questions I answered for Beth while she did this project:

Where is our staple gun?
    Why don’t we have a staple gun?
    Why don’t you like to use staple guns?
    How do I load this staple gun I borrowed?
    Did you just staple your finger?
    Do you need a band-aid?

Liked by 1 person

1. Beth Tabler says:

Haha you were so helpful sweetheart. By the way, How is the finger?

4. MrsCraft says:

Looks fab! 😊

Liked by 1 person

5. Looks Great ! I love recreated things. Nice job

Liked by 1 person

6. carol says:

Great job on that ottoman, Beth. I just love the way you say our “little viking.” When I was newly married, we made bookshelves out of cinder blocks, washed clothes at the laundry mat, and our big night out was Friday when we went to get a Dairy Queen ice cream. It is a problem of the young, that one day you will look back on fondly, especially the littleness of your viking.